Chin Music Shuffle
Hello, hello, hello!
I hope you’re having a wonderful year. Things here have been going along. WindPoem V ~ Infinite ~ Native American Flute Meditations was a finalist among more than 600 entries in the 2019 New Mexico Music. If you’d like to hear the album, please stop by my Bandcamp site where you can check out all of the WindPoem albums.
Recent releases include WindPoem VI ~ Simplicity ~ Native American Flute Meditations, and the book Native American Flute ~ A Comprehensive Guide ~ History & Craft, which combines into one volume the previous bestselling The Native American Flute: Myth, History, Craft and Native American Flute Craft.
Several wonderful artists are featured in this issue of the newsletter. Please visit their websites listed below. Their work—whether literary or musical—is extraordinary and certain to please.
Don’t forget to take advantage of this issue’s free downloads.
Thank you very much for your support of my work. It’s greatly appreciated. I wish you a wonderful summer. Stay safe. Stay happy. Till next time…
WindPoem V ~ Infinite NM Music Awards Finalist
Infinite, the fifth in the WindPoem Native American flute meditations series, was a finalist in the 2019 New Mexico Music Awards. Perfect for meditation, relaxation, and gentle background music, Infinite ~ WindPoem V ~ Native American Flute Meditations features 68 minutes of Native American flute and World Fusion music. Nine Native American flute instrumentals and four multi-instrument cuts highlight the versatility of the Native American flute.
Preview the album at https://youtu.be/o7fpRIRIKkg. Infinite is available at the following retailers and streaming services. The best deal is the Bandcamp download in which alternate versions of the nine Native American flute instrumentals are included free.
Digital and CD sales:
- Digital download, $7: Includes the thirteen main album instrumentals plus the nine alternate versions album free(22 cuts!)
- Main album(13 instrumentals), digital download, $8.99
- Alternate cuts album(9 flute-only alternate versions), digital download, $7.99
- CD, $11
- Main album(13 instrumentals), digital download, $8.99
- Alternate cuts album(9 flute-only alternate versions), digital download, $7.99
- Visit the iTunes WindPoem store!
- Digital download(13 instrumentals), $7
- Digital download(13 instrumentals), $8.99
- License Infinite and other WindPoemmusic for use in your own projects through Pond5 or directly from Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Another album is in the works—but this album will not be comprised of solely of Native American flute meditations. The new album will encompass numerous instruments in the production of at least thirteen world fusion instrumentals that combine elements of jazz, bluegrass, rock, and folk styles. More information coming later this year.
Native American Flute ~ A Comprehensive Guide
Native American Flute: A Comprehensive Guide ~ History & Craft updates and combines into one volume the two previous best-selling books, The Native American Flute: Myth, History, Craft and Native American Flute Craft, to present a comprehensive history of and crafting guide to the native flute.
Native American Flute is the only book that explores the documented history and mythology of the Native American flute, debunking the popular belief that the flute is only a man’s instrument.
Native American Flute also provides an in-depth, step-by-step, fully illustrated manual for crafting one of the most stirring instruments ever invented. Learn the flute’s celebrated history and build it in all its forms, from the ancient end-blown flute to the modern two-chamber flute, drone, and more.
Native American Flute‘s detailed, documented history and thorough, easy-to-follow crafting instructions provide novice and pro alike with the tools and understanding to craft personalized Native American flutes from a variety of materials, including wood, bamboo, PVC, and more while honoring the flute’s cherished journey from ancient times to present day.
Explore. Craft. Play.
Available in paperback and digital formats:
- Amazon Kindle
- Barnes & Noble Nook/EPub
- Apple iTunes iBook
- Amazon Trade Paperback
- Also available in paperback through B&N and other online and local bookstores.
WindPoem VI ~ Simplicity Now Available
Simplicity ~ WindPoem VI ~ Native American Flute Meditations provides 64 minutes of relaxing, meditative Native American flute music that’s both traditional and modern in structure and sound. The Native American flute occupies a special place in Native American mythology that has been erroneously accepted as history, promoted strictly as a man’s instrument used primarily, if not exclusively, as a courting tool. Although the Native American flute was sometimes used in courting, much like instruments in all cultures occasionally employed to express romantic desire, courting was not its only use, nor was its use restricted to men. In pre-European America, Native American men, women, and children played the flute as entertainment, in fertility rites, during celebrations and mourning rituals, and simply to provide distraction and to express the musician’s mood and talent. WindPoem albums celebrate the flute’s rich and inclusive heritage and history. For more information on the history, mythology, and crafting of the instrument, check out Native American Flute ~ A Comprehensive Guide ~ History & Craft, available through most local and online bookstores.
Purchase at the usual places—Amazon.com, iTunes, GooglePlay, and more. The best deal is offered by Bandcamp, where all WindPoem albums are $7 each, or $30 for all by purchasing a subscription which will also entitle you to free downloads of any other music published within the following year. A pretty darn good deal!
Screamin’ Skull Presents Howls from the Underground
Howls From The Underground collects an astounding array of stories, poems, novel excerpts, essays, and artwork from the literary underground, including work by C.S. Fuqua, Laura Kerr, Ali Kinteh, Scott Laudati, Ted Prokash, Stephen Moran, GH Neale, Nicole Nesca, Tony Nesca, Chrissi Sepe, Thom Young, and Drew Alexander Ennis. Purchase from Screamin’ Skull Press, Amazon, and other bookstores.
Walking after Midnight a Trove of “Year’s Best” Short Stories
• “Good horror … isn’t about gore but about the unexpected … Fuqua is a master of prose … his writing crisp, filled with details that make a story come to life.” ~ Frank Dutkiewicz, Diabolical Plots
• “… a lasting impression on the reader.” ~ Adam Calaway, Sensawunda
• “Fuqua’s, then, is a mind that’s not mired in or bogged down by horror, but one that appreciates the possibilities dark fantasy provides in terms of language and ideas, symbol and emotion.” ~ David Bain, author/editor
More than 30 years in the making, Walking after Midnight ~ Collected Stories is a literary trove that collects 61 stories of critically acclaimed dark fantasy, southern gothic, horror, science fiction, and mainstream fiction, including eight stories with “Year’s Best” honors—tales that mine the depths of character—how we fail and triumph, accept and reject, and light the darkest recesses of our souls.
Talented Artists Who Deserve Your Attention
- Jan De Vos, aka JD Fox—former drummer for The Machines, Belgium’s number one pop band from the late 1970s through the 1980s—is one of Belgium’s premier recording artists. Please visit the JD Fox website to learn more about available albums and the upcoming Muscle Shoals tribute album.
- Author Rick Kennettis one of Australia’s best known and most talented writers of ghost stories, science fiction, and dark fantasy. Please visit the Official Rick Kennett Website for more information and a complete listing of current books available.
- Mike Suchcicki, a former newspaper editor with more than 30 years in the business (visit his personal website), and his son Joe head Ghoulash Games,“an ever-so-tiny game design studio in Florida,” creating wonderful, family-oriented games, including GHOULASH: The Last Game on Earth and Mike & Joe’s Card Game. Read more about the game on Mike & Joe’s Card Game website.
- Under the direction of author, instructor, and master Native American flute musician, Dick Claassen, PlayFolkInstruments.com is dedicated to increasing accessibility to the Native American flute and other instruments. If you love folk and Native American flute music and want to know more about it, PlayFolkInstruments.com is the place to go.
- Author Yvon Hintzhas been writing stories since she was a child, starting her epic Half Horse series when she was nineteen. As much as weaving stories—as she describes it—she loves to edit and has provided editing services for many other writers. Yvon is also an artist who illustrates her stories and creates cover illustrations for her own books and the books of other writers. She’s published numerous novels, including Half Horse—The Quinolan Qhronicles (12 books), Hyper Space Key Trilogy—Skypuddle, and Arim’s Dark Star. Visit her on the web.
- Todd Larsen, aka Albino Squirrel, is a gifted, Atlanta-based musician whose music will please your ears. He says he’s “a musician and tunesmith” who’s grounded in rock and blues, but who’s not afraid to tackle other genres as well, as proven by the wonderful selection of tunes you’ll find on his Soundcloud page. Over the years, I’ve collaborated with Todd on a few songs, providing Native American flute. It has always been a pleasure to work with him.
- Tony Nesca and Nicole I. Nesca head Screamin’ Skull Press, a Canadian publishing house that features artists whose work cannot be deemed “conventional” by anyone’s standards. Tony and Nicole have cultivated distinct, individual styles and voices, publishing numerous works through Screamin’ Skull as their journey toward a more rebellious future for literature continues.
- Rogue Pressis a boutique publishing house in Great Britain that seeks and publishes honest, earnest prose from fractious souls and intriguing poetry from plebeians—wry, contemporary voices that reflect our troubled times.
- John McVey, dubbed by one Texas journalist as “Houston’s hottest guitarist,” currently lives and performs with his blues band in the St. Louis, Missouri, and Southern Illinois area. John’s CDs are available at Amazon.com. Visit his website for more information.
Affordable Editing & Publishing Services Available
If you’re an independent writer in need of editing and publishing services, stop by Cooperative Ink or csfuqua.com where you can get professional, affordable help on every aspect of publishing, from simple proofing to line editing, rewriting, ghostwriting, cover design, book layout, and publishing in electronic and print formats, all at a reasonable price that will not bankrupt you. While you’re at Cooperative Ink, browse the superb work by Cooperative Ink’s coalition of artists, writers, and musicians from around the world, featuring a diverse selection of games, books, music, and more.
Free Downloads & More…
I hope you enjoy the free downloads for this newsletter. I hope you’ll also consider purchasing through the usual distributors a book, album, or song by the artists featured in this newsletter.
- “Sydney,” from the album WindPoem I ~ Native American Flute Meditations. Sydney, our daughter’s cat, provided the “vocal” for this tune. He was a gentle, patient soul who brought joy to everyone who knew him. At the age of 14 years, he died in November 2018, taking with him pieces of our hearts. He is, and always will be, sorely missed.
- “Thank You,” an original instrumental by Todd Larsen, aka Albino Squirrel, on which I play Native American flute. Check out Todd’s extraordinary music on his Soundcloud page.
- “Studebaker,” an audio rendition of the poem from White Trash & Southern ~ Collected Poems.
- Radio interview, recorded in May 2019, in which horror in general and as it applies to some of my stories is discussed with the show’s host.
Previous Downloads & Links:
- “Johnny,” a poem from the audio version of White Trash & Southern ~ Collected Poems.
- “Chicken Lips,” a poem from the audio version of the children’s bookIf I Were, I Would!
- “Circle“: Faeries have their eye set on a young victim of domestic abuse, but they fail to consider a kid can be so smart and determined to survive. “Circle” is based on an actual case of domestic abuse, but the fictionalized version involves mythical beings who’ve hitched a ride from Europe to the Americas with their human counterparts. Download at https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/tall-tale-tv/e/55633958. Also available through iTunes and other podcast services.
- “Mama’s Boy“: Our capacity for cruelty is beyond measure. When we witness an extraordinarily cruel act we can’t prevent or stop, is it any wonder we wish for supernatural intervention? Based on a true event, “Mama’s Boy” was a DAW Books’ Year’s Best Horror Stories XXI selection and a Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror 6“honorable mention.” Download at https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/tall-tale-tv/e/56257071. Also available through iTunes and other podcast services.
- “The Poet,” short story, formercactus; Issue 10, July 2018.
- Poems “Aeroplane,” “End,” “Genealogy,” Fowl Feathered Review, February 2018.
- Poems “Cows,” “Water,” “Houses,” “Eyes Wide,” “Deja Vu,” Event Horizon Magazine, Issue 3, March 2018.
- Poem “Gibson,” New Mexico Review; May 2018.
- Poem “Parts,” Riggwelter, April 2018, Issue 8.
- Poem “The Pool Game,” Spank the Carp, 2018.
- Poem “Tires and Tumors,” Word Fountain Magazine, Spring 2018, #15.
Thank you so very much for supporting my work and the extraordinary work of the artists highlighted in this newsletter. Please visit csfuqua.com or connect with me on Facebook and Twitter. As always, wishing you the very best…
Copyright © 2019
All Rights Reserved